You’ll find a wide choice of restaurants, cafés and pubs in Chester and the surrounding area, some better than others. Here are the ones within walking distance of Baker’s Cottage that inspired our guests to comment.
49 Watergate Street
49watergate.co.uk | 49 Watergate Street, Chester, CH1 2LB Tel: 01244 320543
Independent deli and sandwich shop.
- “A great little eatery” Suan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
thealchemist.uk.com | 10 St John St, CH1 1DA Tel. 01244 319425
- “We enjoyed the theatrical cups of tea at the Alchemist” Michelle J from Cornwall, August 2018.
architect-chester.co.uk | 54 Nicholas St, CH1 2NX, Tel: 01244 353 070
- The Architect restaurant was a good place for a meal” Carole B from Rushden, April 2018.
- Karen W recommended the Architect for meals, March 2017.
- Heather M also recommended the Architect and said it is “nice to walk to”, February 2017.
- “We recommend the Architect pub/restaurant for good food and a beautiful building” Julie H from Hockley, November 2016.
atinakitchen.com | 103 Foregate St, CH1 1HE tel: 01244 320894
- Recommended for brunch by Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
The Bear and Billet
markettowntaverns.co.uk | 94 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RU tel: 01244 311886
- “The Bear and Billet pub serves lovely meals and not too far to walk from the cottage, lovely atmosphere.” Susan S from Stockton on Tees, September 2018.
- “We had meals at the Bear and Billet, lovely friendly atmosphere, food was very good” Kevin & Sharon B from Yateley, September 2018.
- Recommended for bar meals by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
theboathousechester.co.uk | The Groves, CH1 1SD tel: 01244 328709
- “Loved the Boathouse in fine weather and watching the world go by on the river” Susan R from Colchester, April 2017
corksout.com/chester | 21 Watergate Street, CH1 2LB tel: 01244 310455
A boutique wine bar and shop in a 13th century crypt offering wine tasting and light snacks.
- “Fabulous for drinks and nibbles” Karen W from Australia, October 2018.
Hanky Panky Pancakes
hankypankypancakes.com | 20 Commonhall St, CH1 2BJ tel: 01244 319225
- “We can recommend Hanky Panky Pancakes” Suan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
hickorys.co.uk | The Groves, CH1 1SD tel: 01244 404000
- “Amazing place” Beth S from Selby, July 2018.
Istanbul BBQ and grill
istanbulbbqchester.co.uk | 85 Brook St, CH1 3DX tel: 01244 326222
- Recommended by Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
lafattoriachester.com | 25 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RS tel: 01244 317330
- Charlotte R from St Albans recommended La Fattoria as great value, October 2017.
- “We enjoyed two visits to La Fattoria, the food was lovely, also the staff” Mary B from Stockton-0n-Tees, November 2016.
iguanas.co.uk | 4 Pepper St, CH1 1DF tel: 01244 313932
- “We had an amazing meal at… Las Iguanas” Zoe S from Willenhall, October 2017
The Lodge Cafe
giftcafe.co.uk | Grosvenor Park, CH1 1QQ tel: 01244 976971
- “The cafe lodge in the park was very good and interesting to see that they reinvest profits in local projects”. Helen O from York, February 2018.
The Mad Hatters Tea Room
madhatterstearooms.co.uk | 49 Bridge Street Row East, CH1 1NW tel: 01244 323444
- Recommended for lunch by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
- “Went to the Mad Hatters tea room, it was not very busy but had to wait nearly 30 minutes for a cup of tea, the staff were friendly though.” Kevin & Sharon B from Yateley, September 2018.
- “The Mad Hatter tea room was nice, great cup cakes.” Carole B from Rushden, April 2018.
boothmansion.uk | 30 Watergate St, CH1 2LA tel: 01244 310473
- “Mansion House for a cool quiet tea and cake in the city centre, very ‘colonial'” Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
mezechester.co.uk | 45-47 Frodsham St, CH1 3JJ tel: 01244 400001
- Recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
Moules A Go Go
moulesagogo.co.uk | 6 – 12 Cuppin St, CH1 2BN tel: 01244 348818
- Recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
individualrestaurants.com | Pepper Row, 33, CH1 1EA tel: 01244 312123
- “Piccolino is fab for eating” Karen W from Australia, October 2018
- “We had a super meal in Piccolino’s in Pepper Street – wonderful” Christine J from Halstead, February 2018.
ristorantesergio.co.uk | 18a St Werburgh St, CH1 2DY tel: 01244 314663
- “Ristorante Sergio best for Italian food” Alison S from Market Rasen, August 2017. Also recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
The Ship Inn
shipchester.co.uk | 18 Handbridge, CH4 7JE tel: 01244 678400
- Recommended by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
- Recommended by Carsten K from Germany, May 2018.
- “For dinner we walked down to the Ship Inn on Handbridge and had a good meal with good service” Coral H from Australia, April 2017.
- “We had an amazing meal at The Ship Inn” Zoe S from Willenhall, October 2017
- “The Ship Inn was very nice” Janet G from Bolton, November 2016.
- “Our watering hole on the way back from the city was the Ship” Mary B from Stockton-0n-Tees, November 2016.
- “Great service, well priced and excellent food. We ate there more than once” Nicola B from Abelour, July 2016.
restauranttwenty2.co.uk | 22 City Walls CH1 1SB, tel: 01244 347 007
- “We went to Twenty Two restaurant (on the city walls, just over the bridge) and it was excellent – really good food and lovely service – we felt really looked after, highly recommended.” Dido B from Ludlow, July 2016.
Ye Olde Kings Head
theyeoldekingsheadchester.co.uk | 50 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RS tel:
- “We can recommend Ye Olde Kings Head (Sunday roast lunch)” Suan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
- “We had a delicious meal in Ye Olde Kings Head it was also very good service” Lisa C from Cheltenham, June 2016.
urbano32chester.co.uk | 32 Bridge Street, CH1 1NQ, tel: 01244 311487
- Pizza restaurant and bar recommended by Valerie B from Bromsgrove, April 2016.