You’ll find a wide choice of restaurants, cafés and pubs in Chester and the surrounding area, some better than others. Here are some of our favourites within walking distance of Baker’s Cottage as well as some that inspired our guests to comment.
Lorna K, who stayed in April 2019, has a tip for visitors: “Make sure you book at the restaurants, we missed out mid-week”. If you have somewhere specific in mind you’ll probably need to book ahead to be sure of getting a table on a race day or a Saturday night. Racing dates are on the Chester racecourse website.
49 Watergate Street
49watergate.co.uk | 49 Watergate Street, Chester, CH1 2LB Tel: 01244 320543
Independent deli and sandwich shop.
- “A great little eatery” Susan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
thealchemist.uk.com | 10 St John St, CH1 1DA Tel. 01244 319425
- “We enjoyed the theatrical cups of tea at the Alchemist” Michelle J from Cornwall, August 2018.
architect-chester.co.uk | 54 Nicholas St, CH1 2NX, Tel: 01244 353 070
We like the atmosphere and the food at the Architect and we’re not the only ones:
- The Architect restaurant was a good place for a meal” Carole B from Rushden, April 2018.
- Karen W recommended the Architect for meals, March 2017.
- Heather M also recommended the Architect and said it is “nice to walk to”, February 2017.
- “We recommend the Architect pub/restaurant for good food and a beautiful building” Julie H from Hockley, November 2016.
atinakitchen.com | 103 Foregate St, CH1 1HE tel: 01244 320894
- Recommended for brunch by Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
The Bear and Billet
markettowntaverns.co.uk | 94 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RU tel: 01244 311886
- “The Bear and Billet pub serves lovely meals and not too far to walk from the cottage, lovely atmosphere.” Susan S from Stockton on Tees, September 2018.
- “We had meals at the Bear and Billet, lovely friendly atmosphere, food was very good” Kevin & Sharon B from Yateley, September 2018.
- Recommended for bar meals by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
theboathousechester.co.uk | The Groves, CH1 1SD tel: 01244 328709
- “Loved the Boathouse in fine weather and watching the world go by on the river” Susan R from Colchester, April 2017
boothmansion.uk | 30 Watergate St, CH1 2LA tel: 01244 310473
- “Mansion House for a cool quiet tea and cake in the city centre, very ‘colonial'” Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
The Brewery Tap
spittingfeathers.co.uk/chester-tap | 52-54 Lower Bridge Street, CH1 1RU tel: 01244 340999
An unusual pub set in Gamul House, a Jacobean Great Hall. They serve local beer from the Spitting Feathers brewery and farther afield as well as freshly cooked food. The Brewery Tap’s easy to miss because it’s not at street level, but up a flight of steps on a terrace that used to be part of Chester’s original rows before the English Civil War. We love it and several of our guests recommend it too, including Bernat and Martina R from Catalonia (February 2019) and Lorna K from New Zealand (April 2019).
chezjules.com | 71 Northgate St, CH1 2HQ tel: 01244 400014
An independent French restaurant between the Storyhouse theatre and the city walls North Gate. Good food and a warm buzzing atmosphere.
- “We liked Chez Jules” Ann T from Falkirk, May 2019.
corksout.com/chester | 21 Watergate Street, CH1 2LB tel: 01244 310455
A boutique wine bar and shop in a 13th century crypt offering wine tasting and light snacks.
- “Fabulous for drinks and nibbles” Karen W from Australia, October 2018.
www.crepeaffaire.com | 34 Bridge Street, CH1 1NQ tel: 01244 340832
We like the light, tasty pancakes and modern decor at Crêpeaffaire.
Hanky Panky Pancakes
hankypankypancakes.com | 20 Commonhall St, CH1 2BJ tel: 01244 319225
- “We can recommend Hanky Panky Pancakes” Susan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
hickorys.co.uk | The Groves, CH1 1SD tel: 01244 404000
- “Amazing place” Beth S from Selby, July 2018.
hypha.restaurant | 5 city walls (up the stairs by Northgate Bridge), CH1 2JG tel: 01244 312490
- “I’d recommend Hypha on the city walls for really delicious, innovative cocktails and food (that happens to be vegan). Lovely service and beautiful location and outlook.” Bianca R from London, April 2019.
Istanbul BBQ and grill
istanbulbbqchester.co.uk | 85 Brook St, CH1 3DX tel: 01244 326222
- Recommended by Steve & Mim C from Newton Abbot, May 2018.
lafattoriachester.com | 25 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RS tel: 01244 317330
La Fattoria is our favourite Italian and, not surprisingly, is often fully booked. On Fridays and Saturdays you can get a table if you’re prepared to eat earlier or later than usual, or book over the phone at least a week ahead. When our kids were little they loved watching the pizza chef spinning the pizza dough (best seen from a table near the front). Sometimes, if we’ve left it too late to book a table, we pick up pizzas to take away on our way back to Baker’s Cottage.
- Charlotte R from St Albans recommended La Fattoria as great value, October 2017.
- “We enjoyed two visits to La Fattoria, the food was lovely, also the staff” Mary B from Stockton-0n-Tees, November 2016.
iguanas.co.uk | 4 Pepper St, CH1 1DF tel: 01244 313932
- “We had an amazing meal at… Las Iguanas” Zoe S from Willenhall, October 2017
The Lodge Café
giftcafe.co.uk | Grosvenor Park, CH1 1QQ tel: 01244 976971
- “The café lodge in the park was very good and interesting to see that they reinvest profits in local projects”. Helen O from York, February 2018.
The Mad Hatters Tea Room
madhatterstearooms.co.uk | 49 Bridge Street Row East, CH1 1NW tel: 01244 323444
- “We had a few visits to the Mad Hatters tea rooms, sitting outside and watching the world go by” Janet W from Bury St Edmonds, September 2019.
- Recommended for lunch by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
- “Went to the Mad Hatters tea room, it was not very busy but had to wait nearly 30 minutes for a cup of tea, the staff were friendly though.” Kevin & Sharon B from Yateley, September 2018.
- “The Mad Hatter tea room was nice, great cup cakes.” Carole B from Rushden, April 2018.
facebook.com/meltdownchester | 14 Queens Park View, CH4 7BU tel: 01244 659528
Meltdown is just a couple of minutes walk from Baker’s Cottage. It’s a friendly cafe that specialises in grilled cheese sandwiches as well as the usual coffee, tea and cake. It’s great value for money and you can ask for half portions or less cheese if the full cheesy versions look too daunting (and it is extremely cheesy!). A great place for a warming lunch if you’ve been out for a winter walk by the river.
mezechester.co.uk | 45-47 Frodsham St, CH1 3JJ tel: 01244 400001
- Recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
Mill Hotel Restaurant Cruiser
millhotel.com/dining/cruise-restaurant | Milton Street, CH1 3NF tel: 01244 350035
- “My family and I booked a midday lunch cruise for Friday (well in advance) which was excellent. It was organised by the Mill Hotel and the staff and crew were very efficient and really friendly. Not to mention the food which was also excellent!” Ursula P from Düsseldorf.
Moules A Go Go
moulesagogo.co.uk | 6 – 12 Cuppin St, CH1 2BN tel: 01244 348818
We like the fresh Anglesey mussels at Moules, although they have steak, chicken, veggie and vegan options too.
- Recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
www.oddfellowschester.com | 20 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RS tel: 01244 345454
- “We stopped off at Oddfellows for some lunch and it was wonderfully quirky!” Kate S from Norfolk, November 2018.
individualrestaurants.com | Pepper Row, 33, CH1 1EA tel: 01244 312123
- “Piccolino is fab for eating” Karen W from Australia, October 2018
- “We had a super meal in Piccolino’s in Pepper Street – wonderful” Christine J from Halstead, February 2018.
Porta wine and tapas bar
https://www.portatapas.co.uk/ | 140 Northgate Street, CH1 2HT tel: 01244 401178
We like Porta for its relaxed simplicity, no bookings – just turn up for drinks and tapas. The courtyard under the city wall was a pleasant spot to cool down on a hot summers day.
The Refectory Café in Chester Cathedral
chestercathedral.com/cafe/ | Chester Cathedral, St Werburgh St, CH1 2DY tel: 01244 500 964
The Refectory Café is open daily for morning coffee, light lunches and afternoon tea. It’s in a 13th century monks’ dining hall complete with stained glass windows and tepestries on the walls.
- “Cathedral café lovely” wrote John G from Nottingham after his family holiday in October 2019.
- “Have lunch in the cathedral” recommends Sanne B from Wijchen in the Netherlands, October 2019.
ristorantesergio.co.uk | 18a St Werburgh St, CH1 2DY tel: 01244 314663
- “Ristorante Sergio best for Italian food” Alison S from Market Rasen, August 2017. Also recommended by Hugh O from Kilmarnock, August 2018.
The Ship Inn
shipchester.co.uk | 18 Handbridge, CH4 7JE tel: 01244 678400
The Ship is one of our locals and a pleasant spot for a drink or a meal.
- “Nice meal at the Ship Inn” John G from Nottingham, October 2019.
- Recommended by Julie B from Cumbria, June 2018.
- Recommended by Carsten K from Germany, May 2018.
- “For dinner we walked down to the Ship Inn on Handbridge and had a good meal with good service” Coral H from Australia, April 2017.
- “We had an amazing meal at The Ship Inn” Zoe S from Willenhall, October 2017
- “The Ship Inn was very nice” Janet G from Bolton, November 2016.
- “Our watering hole on the way back from the city was the Ship” Mary B from Stockton-0n-Tees, November 2016.
- “Great service, well priced and excellent food. We ate there more than once” Nicola B from Abelour, July 2016.
The Slug and Lettuce
slugandlettuce.co.uk/chester | 44 Bridge St, CH1 1NQ, tel: 01244 319873
- “Had lunch in the Slug and Lettuce which we can recommend” Janet W from Bury St Edmonds, September 2019.
restauranttwenty2.co.uk | 22 City Walls CH1 1SB, tel: 01244 347 007
- “We went to Twenty Two restaurant (on the city walls, just over the bridge) and it was excellent – really good food and lovely service – we felt really looked after, highly recommended.” Dido B from Ludlow, July 2016.
Ye Olde Kings Head
facebook/YeOldeKingsHeadChester | 50 Lower Bridge St, CH1 1RS tel:
- “We ate twice at Ye Olde Kings Head Inn. The servings were large, roast yummy and the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help us” Kim & Manuel A from Australia, September 2019.
- “We can recommend Ye Olde Kings Head (Sunday roast lunch)” Suan L from Falkirk, September 2018.
- “We had a delicious meal in Ye Olde Kings Head it was also very good service” Lisa C from Cheltenham, June 2016.
urbano32chester.co.uk | 32 Bridge Street, CH1 1NQ, tel: 01244 311487
- Pizza restaurant and bar recommended by Valerie B from Bromsgrove, April 2016.