Chester’s unique walled city centre is packed with history ranging from ancient Roman ruins and a 900 year old Cathedral, to 13th Century half timbered shops. In the mainly pedestrianised city centre you’ll find stylish designer stores rubbing shoulders with familiar high street names and quirky gift shops.
When it comes to eating out you’ll be spoilt for choice – almost every type of cuisine can be found here and at a range of prices to suit most budgets. You’ll also find traditional English pubs brimming with character and contemporary wine bars making the most of the city’s architectural heritage.
If you’re curious about the city’s rich history there are museums, open top buses and guided walking tours to answer all your questions. Or, take it easy, and relax in one of the city’s parks or on the banks of the river Dee.
We thoroughly enjoyed walking around both levels of the shops in ChesterZoe S from Willenhall
When you’re visiting Chester don’t miss:
The riverside Groves are a great place to relax and watch the world go by or set off on a boat trip along the Dee.read more
There’s a lot more to Chester’s beautiful cathedral than just its stunning architecture.read more
Just 20 minutes from Baker’s Cottage, Chester zoo makes a fantastic day out with something for everyone.read more
Where to find more information for your trip to Chester
- Visitchester.com is the official tourist infomation site with news of events, ideas for things to do, guides to shopping and eating out in the city.
- Chester360 is an unusual site which features panoramic views of the city’s attractions.
- Chester.com is a local listing site with lots of useful information for visitors to the city.
- Chesterwalls.info includes an online guide to the city walls with lots of historical detail.
- The Grosvenor Museum explores Chester’s long history.
- Roman Tours provides walking tours led by a Roman soldier.
- Chester Heritage Tours show you the city in style in a vintage open top bus.
- City Sightseeing provide hop-on hop-off open top bus tours.
Planning a holiday in Chester?
Ask us for guaranteed rates for your holiday dates: