How to book a holiday at Baker’s Cottage
You can book Baker’s Cottage directly with me, Jo Cunningham. If there’s anything you need to know to help you decide if it’s a good fit for your holiday please feel free to contact me. I know the house and the Chester area very well and I’m quite happy to answer any questions you have. I want you to enjoy your holiday and I promise no hard selling! If I think the house or the area won’t match what you have in mind then I’ll say so.
Why book direct?
I’m the joint owner of Baker’s Cottage along with my husband, Peter. We’ve been letting the cottage to holidaymakers since 2004 and know both the house and the local area very well. If there’s anything you want to know about staying at Baker’s Cottage speak to me on the phone, send me a text or email me. Then, if you go ahead and book, I’ll handle your booking from start to finish so you’ll just have one point of contact throughout the whole process.
We advertise Baker’s Cottage on the big travel web sites Airbnb, TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings and you can book through them if you prefer. We pay them commission and they handle your payment. Before your booking is confirmed, all communication goes through their sites. Remember that they also charge you additional booking fees over and above our base prices so booking direct with me will always work out better value for the same dates.
I don’t add any extra charges – no card processing fees, booking fees or any other unexpected extras. The price I quote you will be the price you pay.
Not only that, but I also don’t release all our available dates to the big sites so you’ll find more choice of holiday dates on our own web site, particularly if you’re looking for dates more than 3 months away.
In a nutshell – the benefits of booking direct:
- Direct communication with the same person from start to finish.
- Communicate in the way that suits you best – by phone, text, Whatsapp, email or post.
- You can pick my brains with any questions you have about visiting the Chester area, if I don’t know the answer I’ll know where to find it.
- You’ll save over 12% on big listing site prices for the same dates.
- You won’t pay any added booking fees, card processing fees or find any unexpected extra charges.
- You’ll have the widest choice of available dates.
How to book Baker’s Cottage for your holiday
Our booking process:
- Contact me, Jo Cunningham, to confirm availability and prices for the dates you want.
- I’ll send you a booking form along with our terms and conditions.
- Complete the booking form and send me a deposit of 30% by credit or debit card, bank transfer or sterling cheque. If your stay is less than eight weeks away I ask for full amount.
- When your payment has cleared and I’ve received your booking form I’ll send you confirmation that those dates are yours. I’ll also give you a password so that you can access our private guests-only page where you’ll find more information to help you prepare for your stay.
- Eight weeks before your holiday I’ll remind you that the balance payment is due.
- A couple of weeks before your stay I’ll make sure you’ve got the directions, map and details of the key arrangements.
- The cottage is yours from 4pm on arrival day. There’ll be a welcome tray waiting for you so you can settle in with a cup of tea and biscuits, relax and get ready to enjoy Chester!
More about paying for your holiday
Whichever payment method you choose I won’t apply any surcharges, although in some cases your own bank may apply fees, for example, for cross border bank transfers.
Paying by card
If you choose to pay by credit or debit card I’ll email you an invoice with a link to click through to the Stripe secure online payment processing site. Your card details are never shared with us, the owners, and payment is usually almost immediate.
Paying by bank transfer and Transferwise
I can accept direct bank transfers from UK accounts and my account details are on the booking form. If your bank account is outside the UK we recommend Transferwise which is secure, simple to use and offers good exchange rates. If you select this option I’ll send you a link to a Transferwise secure online payment page and, as with card payments, your bank details are never shared with me. Payment is usually within a couple of hours or may take longer for international transactions.
Paying by cheque
I can accept sterling cheques by post as long as there’s at least three weeks before your holiday starts. It takes several working days for cheque payments to appear in our account and only then can I confirm your booking.
Please bear in mind:
- Baker’s Cottage is non-smoking.
- I’m sorry, but we do not allow pets (apart from registered assistance dogs).
Remember your holiday insurance
Our guests rarely have to cancel their stays but occaisionally it does happen, so please bear in mind that, in common with most UK private holiday home owners, we do not provide cancellation insurance. We strongly recommend that you arrange your own insurance if you do not already have cover in place.
If we have to cancel your holiday for any reason then we will, of course, refund you in full.
Booking with confidence
I understand that people occasionally have concerns about booking holiday accommodation directly with property owners so please feel free to call me, Jo, to discuss any questions that you might have on 07966 372839.
In fact, before you make a booking, I recommend that you always give me a quick phone call or send a text to check that you have my correct contact details.
For UK guests I’ll send you a booking form by post (except for short notice bookings). This means that we can verify each other’s bricks and mortar addresses. In fact, since 2014, UK Consumer Contracts Regulations require us to provide customers with our geographical location. So when we exchange booking information by post you can be sure of our address.
Below are some key facts about us that I trust will provide more reassurance.
I am a member of the Holiday Home Association (formerly called the English Association of Self Catering Operators or EASCO) which is the co-ordinated national voice of self-catering operators throughout England. I am committed to their code of practice and share their objectives “to encourage, promote and uphold high standards of self-catering accommodation within the industry throughout England”. You can find out more about the HHA and check our listing on their web site:
We have also adopted their standard booking terms and conditions which have been carefully prepared by the HHA Council with the advice of their lawyers:
>> The HHA standard terms and conditions for holiday lettings.
You also have the reassurance of knowing that, in the highly unlikely event of a complaint that cannot be resolved directly with me, you have the option to use the HHA dispute resolution service, a low-cost independent arbitration scheme.
We have a history of holiday home letting
Holiday Lettings is one of the UK’s leading holiday rental sites and I’ve had a listing with them since 2006 as you can see from our page on their site. Baker’s Cottage has also received over 30 positive independent guest reviews through their parent site, TripAdvisor. Please note that these listing sites add booking fees on top of our prices so booking with them is over 12% more expensive than if you book direct with me.
>> Baker’s Cottage on holidaylettings.co.uk
I’ve been letting Baker’s Cottage since 2004 and you can see from the Nominet official UK domain name records that I’ve owned the domain name since then:
>> Nominet ‘whois’ records for bakerscottage.co.uk.
I’m registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office
I’m registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office because I collect contact details and other information from our guests. You can check my contact details on the official register of data controllers – search for registration number ZA280856.
>> Search the register of data controllers
Find baker’s Cottage online
You can find our adverts and listings for Baker’s Cottage on other web sites. Wherever our contact details are shown you should find they are consistent with the details on this site. For example, Baker’s Cottage appears on:
- Holidaylettings.co.uk (note that this site adds booking fees of 12% or more to our usual rates).
- TripAdvisor.co.uk where Baker’s Cottage has been awarded a ‘Travellers Choice’ rating (note that this site adds booking fees of 12% or more to our usual rates).
- Airbnb where we have ‘Superhost’ status (note that this site adds booking fees of 15% or more to our usual rates).
We accept payment by:
- Credit or debit card
- Direct bank transfer
- Transferwise non-sterling bank transfers
- Sterling cheque
Planning your Chester holiday?
Pay no booking fees and get the best price when you book direct with us, the cottage owners
Interested in visiting Chester?
We'll email you Chester travel tips and updates on Baker's Cottage special offers