Chester is the ideal place to do your Christmas shopping and soak up the festive atmosphere. It has a wide variety of shops ranging from all the familiar high street names to specialist boutiques, galleries and independent gift shops.
The city centre is hung with lights in the build up to Christmas. The half-timbered shops and unique two level rows ooze Christmas spirit. There are Christmas trees, carol concerts, a Christmas market and all sorts of events to coax you into a festive mood.
What’s on in Chester around Christmas time:
- There will be Christmas lights in the city centre from the 14th November.
- The Christmas Market in Town Hall Square, will be open every day from the 16th November until the 22nd December. Find all sorts of gift ideas or enjoy warming festive fare including traditional mince pies, mulled wine and hot chestnuts.
- There’s the annual Christmas parade from 7pm on 21st November.
- Chester Santa Dash on the 1st December fills the city centre with santas of all shapes and sizes running to raise money for local children’s charities.
- Winter Watch parades celebrate the winter solstice at 7pm on the 5th and 12th December.
- Saturnalia Parade – an ancient Roman celebration, takes place along with the Winter Watch on 12th December.
- Chester Operatic Society are putting on a Christmas show called ‘Just Believe’ at St Mary’s, Handbridge, on the 13th-14th December.
- Chester Music Society Choir and Chester Philharmonic Orchestra are putting on a Christmas show on 18th-19th December.
- Chester Bach Singers are singing carols by candelight at St Werburgh’s on 21st December.
- Chester zoo has special events including an after-dark lantern trail during November and December. Call the zoo on 01244 380280.
- Chester cathedral has a christmas tree festival in the cloisters from 30th November to 5th January. There are also seasonal concerts. Call the box office on 01244 500959.
- Storyhouse is putting on Peter Pan from 6th December to 12th January. Call them on 01244 409 113.
- The Forum Studio Theatre are performing Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs from 29th November to 4th January. Call the box office on 01244 341296.
- Visit Cheshire website has information on local events in the run up to Christmas or call the Visitor Centre on 01244 405340.
At the time of writing Baker’s cottage is available for Christmas shopping breaks in November and December. To get your Christmas off to a festive start, we leave you a decorated tree, logs for the fire and a welcome basket with some seasonal goodies. Check availability and prices.
Click a photo to see full size pictures:
What some of our guest thought about their Christmas stays at Baker’s Cottage:
- “We had a lovely Christmas day with Paul’s Mum able to come and visit us. Lovely Christmas decorations and small touches that made it special” Kirstie R from France, December 2018.
- “we had a lovely time… very festive, both the cottage and Chester – especially the Christmas markets!” Lindsay B from Liverpool, Dec 2017.
- “The wrapped gifts, lights, Christmas tree and extra treats made us feel very welcome and enhanced the pleasure of our stay. Lovely Christmas spirit, thank you” Margaret B from Lancaster, Dec 2017.