Day trips from Chester
Chester makes an ideal base for trips to Liverpool, Manchester, the Wirral peninsular and North Wales. It has great motorway access as well as being at the hub of an extensive railway network.
Some typical day trips from Chester:
- The city of Liverpool for shopping, eating, culture, the Beatles, the Mersey ferries, a thriving arts scene and one or two football clubs is just under 30 miles (48 km).
- The city of Manchester, also a centre for shopping, eating, arts and culture, is just over 40 miles (64 km).
- Llangollen in the Welsh hills, home of the annual Eisteddfod music festival, a steam railway and a ruined castle is 23 miles (37 km).
- Llandudno, on the Welsh coast with it’s beaches, pier, tramway and cable car is 46 miles (74 km).
- Llanberis for Mount Snowdon is 69 miles (111 km).
Day out to Conwy Castle
Trip to Port Sunlight
Train to Liverpool Vanessa B from Leicestershire
Ideas for day trips:
The historic port of Liverpool is an easy drive or a train ride from Chester.read more
Chester is minutes from the North Welsh border. There are ruined castles, sandy beaches, mountain passes and historic villages within easy driving distance.read more
The Wirral Peninsular sits between the Dee and the Mersey and has lots to offer visitors of all ages.read more
Ideas for day trips from our guests:
- “If you have a car and fancy getting out of town for an afternoon, we had a lovely road trip down to Chirk Castle, then drove to Llandudno via Snowdonia National Park – would definitely recommend. Spectacular and diverse scenery.” Bianca R from London, April 2019.
- “The nearby National Trust houses Erddig and Chirk are worth visiting – beautiful gardens” Doreen & Andrew B from Bracknell, June 2018. Erddig and Chirk are both near Wrexham, about 15 to 20 miles from Chester. Find out more about them on the National Trust pages for Chirk Castle and Erddig House.
- “Lyme Park was beautiful and would go back again” wrote Marian & Mark F in March 2018. The Lyme Park estate is managed by the National Trust and is about 45 miles from Chester. Find out more on the National Trust Lyme Park page.